How do I apply to the Certificate in Law? 

Visit our Apply page. There are two red boxes at the top of the page. The first one is a link on where you can submit your official transcript and the second box will take you to the Certificate in Law application. 

Queen's students are eligible once your first year of studies has been completed. The earliest you can be offered admission is September when your second year commences. To view application dates, please visit Apply page. 

What are the admission requirements?

Admission criteria is outlined on the Certificate in Law Apply page.

When should I apply to the Certificate in Law?

Below are timelines when students may apply for the Certificate in Law. 

  • Fall term application dates are open June 1 - August 1 for courses starting in September
  • Winter term application dates are open October 1 - December 1 for courses starting in January
  • Summer term application dates are open February 1 - April 1 for courses starting in May

As a current Queen's student, do I have to apply to the Certificate in Law before enrolling in courses?

Law courses at the 200-level can be taken without admission to the Certificate in Law and will be retroactively counted towards your certificate requirements once admitted to program. 

To access 700-level Law courses, you must be an active student in program. 

As a non-Queen's student, can I enroll in courses without  admission to the Certificate in Law?

The Law courses can be taken without admission to the Certificate in Law program. Students can apply as a non-degree interest Law student. For further information on admission criteria, please visit our Apply page. 

Non-degree interest students can work towards completing the Certificate in Law. Once you have met academic progression (minimum final grade of C+ or higher) in the first two courses at the 700-level, you may be matriculated into the Certificate in Law program where you can finish the two remaining courses at the 700-level and at the Faculty of Law tuition rate. 

If I don’t meet admission requirements, can I appeal the decision?

The Undergraduate Admissions office does not accept appeals or extenuating circumstances for students applying to upper-year programs. Admission into the Certificate in Law program is solely based on a student's GPA. If you are a Queen’s student, you must have successfully completed your first year of studies. For more information on admission criteria, please visit our Apply page.

Registration and Finances

Is there a cost to apply to the Certificate in Law?

There is a $100 application fee that can be paid by VISA, or Mastercard. 

How much do the courses cost? 

Home faculty tuition fees are assessed for full-time on campus students enrolled in 200-level Law courses.

The Faculty of Law tuition rate for each 700-level Law course is as follows: 

Fall/Winter Domestic  $1,134.00
Fall/Winter Domestic (outside of Ontario)  $1,249.98
Fall/Winter International  $3,594.24

For further information regarding tuition fees, visit the Office of the University Registrar Tuition and Fees page.  

Is the Certificate in Law program eligible for financial aid?

If you are a student who resides in Ontario or another province/territory, you may be eligible for government student financial assistance. Please contact Student Awards for further information regarding financial aid. 

Non-degree interest Law students are not eligible for financial assistance. 

What is the difference between 200-level and 700-level courses? 

Undergraduate students completing a degree (on-campus or distance) can count no more than 6.0 units at the 200-level towards degree requirements as electives and at your home faculty tuition rate. The remaining two courses must be taken at the 700-level and at the Faculty of Law tuition rate.

700-level courses do not count towards degree requirements but are included in GPA. Once courses have been completed, you are not permitted to switch a 700-level Law course to a 200-level Law course. Only students that have applied and been accepted to the Certificate in Law can enroll in Law courses at the 700-level. 

Non-Queen’s students, including distance learners and interest students are required to complete all four courses at the 700-level and at the Faculty of Law tuition rate. Queen's alumni can retroactively apply a maximum of two Law courses (6.0 units) at the 200-level taken prior to graduation. 

Program Experience

Are Law courses offered online? Do you offer any in-class courses? 

All Law courses associated with the Certificate in Law are done entirely online including final assessments. A number of the Law courses do have mandatory online tutorials and students will have to participate in 4-5 sessions throughout the 12-week term with either an instructor or Teaching Assistant. You will attend the same day/time each time there is a session using Zoom. To accommodate all learners, there are day, evening and weekend timeslots and students select when enrolling in course. 

Introduction to Canadian Law is offered as a blended course in fall and winter term, however, only current degree seeking on-campus students can enroll in course. 


What is the duration of the Certificate in Law program? 

The Certificate in Law is a part-time program so there is no specific duration in which you need to complete the four required courses. It is dependent on your schedule, you can finish courses in two terms or three years. 


Are online courses easier than in-class courses?

Online education is substantially different, but no easier than in-class courses. While the Faculty of Law uses a different model for teaching that allows students to move at their own pace and study the coursework to match their needs, this is still a demanding course taught by law faculty. 

As with any other course, grades are dependent on the effort students put into the course and fulfilling course obligations including participation, quizzes, assignments, group work, fact patterns, discussions or final assessments.  


How much time should I plan to invest on each week?

The course material is divided into a 12-week term starting September, January and May. Modules vary in length from one to two weeks and learners can expect to invest on average 7-9 hours per week in each course but this may fluctuate from week to week. 


Do I have to complete courses in any order?

The Law courses can be done in any order, however, it is strongly recommended that you begin with Law 201/701 – Introduction to Canadian Law as it will introduce you to other areas of law and other courses associated within the program. 

To assist with course planning, the Law Course Offering Schedule is located on the About page. 


Do I need to complete all four courses before I graduate?

The program is designed to allow students to study at their own pace and requirements for the Certificate in Law can be completed before or after graduation.


Course Requirements

What are the technology requirements, skills and support for Law courses?

You are responsible for ensuring that you meet all computer requirements and that you are able to participate in all aspects of the course that require educational technology tools (e.g. onQ, Zoom).

Click here to see the recommended technology from Queen’s Information Technology Services.

It is always recommended that you use the most updated browser version available. Click here to see supported browsers for onQ (Brightspace), for your specific device and operating system.

If you require technical assistance, please contact Queen’s Information Technology Services.

How can I order textbooks?

Textbooks can be purchased from the Queen's Campus Bookstore or directly from the publisher. Please ensure you are purchasing the correct edition. To learn more about course materials, visit the Certificate in Law Courses page. 

How do I log in to onQ?

Go to Use your Queen's NetID and password to “log in”. If you encounter issues or require support, please contact Queen's ITS.

How do I add, drop and swap courses on SOLUS?

For a number of tutorials including how to add, drop or swap courses, please review the Student Registration Guide


Current Students

I am a first-year Queen’s student interested in pursuing the Certificate in Law. Can I take courses?

First-year students can apply to the Certificate in Law once you have successfully completed your first year of studies. Students are eligible in September or when the second academic year commences. 

Students can begin enrolling in 200-level Law courses in summer term between first and second year. If you have completed a Law course in summer of first year, it will be credited as both an elective and towards your Certificate in Law requirements.  

Can any other Queen’s courses be counted towards the Certificate in Law? 

One core 200-level undergraduate Law course can be substituted for either PHIL 318, COMM 382 or EMPR 210 (only full time on-campus students can enroll in substitution courses). PHIL 318, COMM 382 and EMPR 210 cannot be taken in place of a 700-level Law course. 

Will these courses count towards the Dean’s Honour List in my undergraduate degree program?

Queen's students can count 200-level Law courses taken as electives towards the Dean’s Honour List. 700-level Law courses cannot be counted towards the Dean's Honour List and do not count towards degree requirements, however, are included in GPA. 

Any Law courses earned while completing the Certificate in Law may be included in the calculation of undergraduate grades done by Ontario Law Schools Application Service, if you are applying for admission to law school. 

Do non-Queen's students need a Letter of Permission in order to have courses count towards home degree or diploma?

All undergraduate Law courses are three-credit (3.0) courses at Queen’s. For students registered in another post-secondary institution, a letter of permission from your college or university is needed if you want to earn transfer credits. Your home institution will assess and approve the number of transfer credits that will be recognized for courses completed at Queen’s.

Ontario undergraduate students should visit eCampus Ontario to review how credits from Law courses can help them. There are a number of factors including home institution, program of study, and courses already completed that can affect how credits from the Certificate in Law can be used. 

If you are interested in pursuing this option, please discuss with an Academic Advisor at your college or university.  

I am a Certificate in Law student and not currently in a degree program, can I take additional online courses through another Queen's faculty?

Students are only permitted to enroll in Law courses that count towards the Certificate in Law program. If you are interested in pursuing non-Law courses, please visit faculty website for further information on admission criteria and eligibility. 

General FAQs

How will the Certificate in Law benefit me?

The Faculty of Law believes everyone should have a basic understanding of the law; and how it can impact on both a personal and professional basis. This is an academic accreditation that will be a permanent part of your academic record, and a testament to a level of knowledge of the law that few people outside of formal legal studies ever attain. It is a competitive job market and anything you can do to distinguish yourself from other applicants will help. An additional credit, like a Certificate in Law, can only benefit you. Expand your horizons and see if legal studies are right for you! 

Will the Certificate in Law help me get into law school?

Law school admissions is a detailed process, and a wide range of factors determine which students are admitted. All Canadian J.D. / LL.B. programs require at least two years of full-time undergraduate study for admission and most require completion of a degree program. The Law courses may be considered along with the rest of your academic record and other admission material (e.g. LSAT results). Admission into Law school, however, depends on everything included in your application.
The presence of undergraduate Law courses focusing on Canadian law may show a level of interest in the law that could strengthen a person’s application to law school, however, The Faculty of Law is unable to guarantee that Law courses will lead to admission into law school.
The Law courses are designed to provide you with a better idea on if you want to apply to law school and can provide a helpful background if admitted.

Is this Certificate part of, or a substitute for, a law degree?

While the Certificate in Law provides an overview of the law in Canada, Certificate courses are not eligible for credit to a professional degree program in law (LLB or JD). This certificate will not make you eligible to pass the bar or practice law. It is, however, a comprehensive way to learn more about Canadian law.

Can these courses be used as transfer credits to law school?

Law courses are completed at an undergraduate level and cannot be applied for transfer credit to any professional degree program including the Juris Doctor or Master’s program. 

Are Certificate in Law courses recognized by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA)?

Certificate in Law courses are intended as undergraduate-level introductions to various topics in the law, and are not recognized by the NCA.

    Am I eligible for a student health and dental plan?

    The Certificate in Law is not affiliated with a student government therefore you are not eligible to opt in to a health/dental benefits plan.

    Can I be discontinued from the Certificate in Law program?

    Students who wish to be discontinued from the Certificate in Law, please send an email to and include your 8-digit student number and primary name. It will appear as "discontinued" on your academic record. 

    Students who withdraw from the Certificate in Law and are a current Queen's student, please note, 700-level Law courses completed cannot be used toward your degree requirements, only 200-level Law courses.